Pages

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Black Bean Burgers

Okay, so the black bean burgers were a huge hit. Again, I got this recipe from a blog called "Eat Food, Not Too Much, Mostly Plants" and I LOVE it.
I am merely putting the recipe here so I can reference it easily. That is what I am doing with all the good recipes I find. Just putting them here, so I can have a bunch to cook from. Once I get a ton, I will then make a cook book out of it. Good plan? I thought so.

Black Bean Burgers

These burgers are awesome! Cooking the onions and peppers over high heat helps to give the burgers a "grilled" flavor. I also added a little Liquid Smoke which gave it a great taste.

1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 onion, large dice
1 red bell pepper, large dice
2 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp. grill seasoning (such as McCormick Grill Mates)
salt and pepper to taste
2 cans black beans, rinsed and well drained
1 egg, beaten
3/4 c. Panko bread crumbs

Heat oil over medium-high heat until it is just starting to smoke. Add the onion and bell pepper and stir constantly to avoid scorching. When onions are golden brown, reduce heat to low; add garlic, grill seasoning and salt/pepper to taste. Stir occasionally until onions and peppers are softened.

In a food processor, pulse the onion and pepper mixture until finely chopped. Add the black beans, and process until the desired texture is achieved. TASTE the mixture at this point to check for seasonings. If necessary, add more salt or pepper.

Beat the egg in a large bowl. Add the bean mixture and the bread crumbs. Stir to combine. Use a large ice cream scoop to form balls, and shape into patties using wet hands. Place patties on an oiled baking sheet, and cook at 375 for 10 minutes. Flip the patties over, and cook for another 5-7 minutes. Avoid overcooking or the burgers will be dry.

Serve the burgers on crusty rolls with your favorite burger fixins'.

No comments: