Pages

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Goblin Pie

I went to the grocery store last night and loaded up on groceries. While there, I was shocked at the price of fresh spinach. $6.99 lb! Ridiculous, right? So I didn't buy any and after I left my neighborhood market I headed down the street for the health food store. Spinach there was $2.49 lb. I bought two pounds.

Two pounds may sound like a lot of spinach... okay, it is a lot of spinach, but for what I am planning on cooking this week, it is just enough. Really, spinach is a staple in our home. One recipe calls for 10 cups of spinach, another calls for four and yet another calls for six! So, buying that much spinach didn't bother me. It wont be going bad.

Today I decided to make a souffle for dinner. I am trying out another recipe in my vegan cookbook. Spinach souffle! I love that stuff, and make it with tofu and the nutrients and vitamins that I need just skyrocket! So, with a little bit of tweaking to make it perfect for my family, here is my recipe:


Goblin Pie

What you need:

4 Tbsp olive oil
1 med yellow onion, minced
4 cups fresh baby spinach
handful of mushrooms, sliced
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 lb firm tofu, drained
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup veggie broth
2 Tbsp soy sauce

What to do:

Preheat oven to 350*. Lightly oil a 3 qt casserole or round baking dish and set aside.
In a large skillet heat 1 Tbsp olive oil over medium low heat. Add the onions, cover, and cook until soft (about 10 minutes). Stir in the spinach and mushrooms and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook until spinach is wilted, about 3 minutes.

In a food processor (or blender) combine the tofu and the onion/spinach mixture and process until well blended. If you are doing this in a blender, add the vegetable broth and blend. Add the baking powder, soy sauce, remaining 3 Tbsp of olive oil, and the broth if you have not yet added it. Blend. If you have a heavy duty blender, go ahead and add the flour and blend it all together. My blender would choke, so I after everything else was blended I had to mix the flour in by hand. Regardless of how you do it, when it is all blended together, pour into your baking dish. Add cheese if you would like. Or not. Put in the oven and bake until firm, about 60 minutes. Serve immediately.

This souffle looks disgusting. Really. Jeffrey said it looks like a cow pie turned over. But man oh man, is it good stuff! This is definitely added to our rotating dinner menu. Okay, lets be honest, I don't have one of those, because I am constantly trying new recipes. But if I did, it would be added. We loved it! The tofu has lots of protein, as does the spinach, so that is great. They both also have lots of calcium, so you nay sayers about the vegetarian diet, there you go. A simple dinner that has tons of the two nutrients that are supposedly lacking. Next time I am going to add some ground up flax seed just for fun.

Well, what are you waiting for? Go on and make it! Surprisingly easy, and enormously delicious!

Buen Provecho!


2 comments:

Brittany Elizabeth said...

this does look kinda... funny. but i'd deffinatly try it:] it just sounds really good!

Unknown said...

That sounds wonderful! I'll definitely have to make it!