Pages

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Baked Pasta Shells with Broccoli

I got a new cookbook on a date with my hubby last week. I finally made a recipe out of it last night. It was pretty good, but not what I was expecting. For some reason I thought that it would be a very elegant meal. I don't know why I thought that, but I did. At any rate, it was very much a home-style cooking kind of meal. But Jeffrey liked it a lot and requested I make it again, so that is a good sign. I forgot to take pictures of it, so you are going to have to use your imagination on this one. Also, I didn't follow the recipe exact as I didn't have all the ingredients it called for, but I think it turned out pretty well regardless.

What you need:

1 medium bunch broccoli, trimmed and cut into small florets (I would use two bunches of broccoli the next time I make this)
8 oz small pasta shells (I used curly noodles as I didn't have shells)
3 cups Mornay-Style Cheeze Sauce (recipe below)
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup dry unseasoned bread crumbs
1 tsp sweet paprika

What to do:

Steam the broccoli until just tender, about 5 minutes. Run under cold water to stop the cooking process and set aside. Preheat the oven to 375*F. Lightly oil a 9x13" baking dish and set aside.
In a pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta over medium-high heat until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain well and return to the pot. Add the steamed broccoli, the Mornay sauce, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix gently to combine, then spoon the mixture into the prepared baking dish and top with the bread crumbs and paprika.
Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until the top is lightly browned, about 10 minutes longer. Serve immediately.

*** I just mixed everything in the baking dish rather than return it all to the pasta pot and then mixing it before putting it in the baking dish. Also, we were impatient to eat so I baked it for 15 minutes with the foil on and about 10 minutes with the foil off.***


Mornay-style Cheese Sauce

What you Need:

1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup vegetable broth
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1/8 tsp turmeric (I didn't have any so I used worchestshire sauce. I don't recommend doing this )
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 2 Tbsp water
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp yellow mustard
1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk (I only had vanilla, so I used regular milk)

What to do:

In a small saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, cover, and cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Stir in the broth and nutritional yeast, turmeric, and salt and pepper and simmer, stirring, until the mixture starts to thicken and bubble. Whisk in the cornstarch mixture and cook, whisking, for 1 to 2 minutes to thicken.
Transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Add the lemon juice, mustard, and milk and blend until smooth. Taste, adjusting seasonings if necessary. Return the sauce to the saucepan and heat over low heat, stirring, until hot. If not using right away, cool the sauce to room temperature, then transfer it to a container, cover, and refrigerate until needed. Properly stored, the sauce will keep for 2 to 3 days. Reheat the sauce in a saucepan over low heat.

Again, it was a very comforting meal, but I will definetly add more broccoli next time, and not try to replace the turmeric, because that gave it a really funny flavor. I also added some shredded cheese and mixed it in with the casserole. All in all, it was yummy but nothing to wow the Jones'. If you do decide to make this, let me know now it goes, and as always,

Buen Provecho!

No comments: