Pages

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Home Made Tortillas


Jeffrey called during his lunch today.  I love when he does that!  We chatted for a bit, and then he asked what I was making for dinner.  I told him I was planning on Cafe Rio for dinner, and he said "Oh, are you tired today?  Do you not feel like cooking?"  I had to laugh, because I meant the homemade Cafe Rio.  He was glad, because he likes homemade food.  There is more of a chance for leftovers that way, and he has more interesting lunches than just his typical frozen burritos.

As I was getting ready to make dinner, a recipe caught my eye.  It was for home made tortillas.  They are good and a lot healthier than the recipe I know.  My friend from Mexico taught me to make tortillas.  She said you just grab a few handfuls of flour, add a little salt, and then shortening.  Add some warm water and mix it with your hands, form little balls, and roll them out.  So yummy, but so hard to replicate them.  At least for me.  When I saw this recipe, I was very excited as it is a lot healthier, and lets be honest, I do better with more direction than "a handful, a bit, some, etc."

This recipe came from Petitelephant.com and has enough guidance to make it helpful, but enough leway for me to make it my own.

This is how I made them:


  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp vegetable oil
  • 3/4 cup hot water
Mix all the dry ingredients thoroughly.  In a separate container, mix the oil and water.  Gradually add the water to the dry ingredients and mix.  Little by little add the water and mix after each little addition.  I just put everything in my Bosch and let it mix itself while slowly pouring the water in.  Let the dough knead (or do it by hand if you are ambitious) until it is smooth.  When it feels ready, separate into little balls.  This recipe makes about 9 or 10.  Cover with a damp cloth and leave somewhere warm for about 20 minutes.  

When the 20 minutes are up, knead each ball, (I just squoze them in my hands for a bit) and return them to the plate, cover, and let sit for 10 minutes.

Oil your counter and hands.  Roll each ball out until it is paper thin.  The thinner the better.  Heat up a frying pan, add a bit of oil, and toss the dough on one at a time.  When it begins to bubble it is ready to flip.  Cook until they are just golden in the center.

These are perfect with the Cafe Rio meal (did I already mention that?), and would probably make incredible tortilla chips.

Enjoy!

No comments: