Pages

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Cinco De Mayo Meal, Baby!

Today is Cinco de Mayo. What that means is the Mexicans beat Napolean's army and drove the French from their lands on this day in 1862.  Pretty amazing since the French army had not been beaten for over 50 years!  Go Mexicans!

As it is well known, I find any reason I can to celebrate.  No, I am not Mexican, but I do love the people, culture, and food. 

Today in honor of the Mexican holiday, we ate in style.

We had Cafe Rio style burritos.  They are Jeffrey's favorite and I quite like them as well.  I found the recipe at Favorite Family Recipes and adapted it a little to suit our tastes.  Enjoy!


CILANTRO-LIME RICE:
1 c. uncooked rice
1 tsp. butter or margarine
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
1 can (15 oz) chicken broth
1 cup water
1 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
2 tsp. sugar
3 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro

In a saucepan combine rice, butter, garlic, 1 tsp. lime, chicken broth and water. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook on low 15-20 minutes, until rice is tender. Remove from heat. In a small bowl combine lime juice, sugar and cilantro. Pour over hot cooked rice and mix in as you fluff the rice.


BLACK BEANS:
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/3 c. tomato juice
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. fresh chopped cilantro

In a nonstick skillet, cook garlic and cumin in olive oil over medium heat until you can smell it. Add beans, tomato juice, and salt. Continually stir until heated through. Just before serving stir in the cilantro. (**NOTE** we added a can of corn, drained, to the beans with a dash of cumin and chili powder, it was AWESOME! We recommend doing this even though it's not "traditional Cafe Rio")


CILANTRO RANCH:
1 packet TRADITIONAL Hidden Valley Ranch mix (not BUTTERMILK)
1 c. mayonnaise
1 c. buttermilk
2 tomatillos, remove husk, diced
1/2 bunch of fresh cilantro
1 clove garlic
juice of 1 lime
1 jalapeno (we like it SPICY so we kept the seeds in it, if you like it mild, just remove the seeds)

I also bought some enchilada sauce and poured it over the burritos, sprinkling Tapatio hot sauce and cheese over the top and popped them in the broiler (the oven turned to broil).  When the cheese was melted, they were done.  Add some pico de gallo and a little bit of crema and it is ready for the eating!



2 comments:

mub said...

I think next time I come home I'm going to eat at Cafe Rio everyday for a month... haha! I need to try to make that dressing with my fake ranch dressing substitute and see if it works. I don't know if it will or not *L*

Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

Oh thanks! I bookmarked this page for later. I've tried the salad before, but never the burritos. I think the tin pan makes them taste better. :)