Pages

Monday, November 2, 2009

Here We Come a Wassailing

Interesting that Wassailing is a verb. I guess it is true, you can change anything into a verb or even an adjective. They did it in old English, so it must be doable now days!

Today I got an email from a friend of mine who asked me for my wassail recipe. It was then I realized I don't have it written down anywhere. It is just in my head. So, I decided I need to share it with all, since I am doing a fall menu right now. Nothing says fall like Wassail!

What you need:

1 jug Apple cider
Cinnamon sticks
Whole cloves
Orange slices
Frozen orange juice concentrate

What you do:

Pour cider into a large pan and put on the stove to simmer. Add 3-4 cinnamon sticks and about 1 tsp whole cloves (more or less depending on the strength you want them to have). Add a couple of spoons full of the oj concentrate. Slice up oranges (into circles) and let float in cider. Simmer until warm, or smell permeates through house. I generally let it sit an hour or two simply to let the flavors blend and to get the perfume throughout my house.

None of the measurements are exact, and they don't have to be. Play with it and make it how you like it. Enjoy!
Buen Provecho!

1 comment:

mub said...

Do you think this would still be good with apple juice? The only cider to be found in this part of the world is alcohol!