Pages

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

A Perfect Dinner

Did you know I adore my husband? Well, I do. He is simply grand! Since today is a special day for him, I thought I would make him his favorite food in the world. He is a blueberry fiend! I am not exaggerating on that, he would live on blueberries alone if he could. I think he would be happy to have Violet Beauregarde's fate he loves them so much. So, to honor this big bluberry lover I call my husband, I am going to make him a fresh blueberry pie (well, I am going to use some fresh and some frozen blueberries) and surprise him with it when he gets home from work. A blueberry pie and a fresh lasagna... could life get any better? I submit that it cannot! I may even throw a lemonaid in there to, just to finish things off. It will be a very special dinner for my studious Darling!

To start off with, we will have a delectable lasagna with a side of veggies (made last night).

Miracle Lasagna

What You Need:

1 jar prego spaghetti sauce )any flavor you prefer)
6 uncooked lasagna noodles
16 oz ricotta cheese
2 cups mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

What To Do:

In a 2 qt baking dish, spread 1 cup sauce around to cover the bottom of the dish. Top the sauce with 3 uncooked noodles, ricotta cheese, 1 cup mozzarella cheese and the Parmesan cheese. Cover with 1 cup sauce. Top with remaining noodles and sauce. Cover dish and bake at 375*F for 1 hour. After it is done baking, top with remaining mozzarella cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes.
*My lasagna will look a lot tastier than this... still having camera problems*

We will enjoy this dish and the veggies with a little garlic bread, and some sparkling lemonaid (or juice, whatever I can find). Then, on to the dessert!

Fresh Blueberry Pie
recipe found here

What You Need:

1 1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
juice and grated zest from 1/2 medium lemon
5 cups fresh or frozen thawed blueberries, rinsed well
pastry for 2 crust pie
1 T butter, cut in small pieces

What To Do:

In a large bowl combine sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, lemon juice and grated rind, and blueberries. Roll out half of the pastry; line an 9-inch pie pan and trim edges. Pour berry mixture into pie crust and dot with small pieces of butter. Roll out remaining pastry to about 1/8 inch thick. Cover pie; trim, turn edge under and crimp. Cut a few vents in top of crust to allow steam to escape (didn’t think about it in time or I would have used one of my pie birds). Bake at 425° for 40 minutes, or until crust is nicely browned. For best slicing results, let the pie cool before slicing.

*This looks a lot better than my pie will because I don't know how to do the lattice crust.*

What a great way to end a long day of work, and to rev up the brain for all that studying that is
coming, don't you think? My sentiments exactly!


Buen Provecho!

No comments: