Pages

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Berry Crisp

Remember how I was going to make the most perfect dinner ever for Jeffrey? Well, that was before he decided to surprise me with Cafe Rio and a movie, and then playing with Keith on the floor for about 15 minutes of pure laughter. I decided that we really need to up our fruit intake, so made a berry crisp. Now, I sort of made up my own recipe, and it was super runny, so the next time I make it, I may add some more corn starch, or maybe it will cool down and thicken up. We'll see. At any rate, it was delicious, and would taste even better with some cold ice cream. Yummy! Here is my recipe


What You Need:

Filling:
3-4 cups of berries (I used strawberries, blackberries and raspberries)
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1 T cornstarch

Topping
3/4 cup butter (I actually used quite a bit less. You could probably get away with 1/2 cup or so)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/4 cup flour
1 cup oatmeal

What You Do:

Heat oven to 375*. Hull the strawberries, and set all berries aside.
mix sugar, cornstarch and water in a pan on medium heat, stirring constantly until it becomes clear. Add berries to mixture on stove, and coat them all. In a buttered 8 qt pan pour berry mixture. Set aside. In separate bowl mix sugars and butter until creamy. Slowly add flour. When that is all mixed in, add oatmeal. Once it comes to a crumb like consistency, spread by crumbling over berries. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
I didn't do this when I initially made it, but the next time I make this I will add some cinnamon to the flour mixture, and possibly a little vanilla.
Serve over ice cream. Devour hot or cold, it doesn't matter because it is divine!

Buen Provecho!



No comments: