Pages

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Mixed Vegetables with Garlic and Herbs

Last night I made the Mixed Veggies with Garlic and Herbs... and I learned something about myself.

Pregnant body does NOT like sauteed veggies of any kind. I especially hate olive oil. So, that cuts down on a huge portion of our menu, but what can you do. Maybe once the baby is born I can try it again.
See note below next picture

Jeffrey, on the other hand loved it and would like me to make it again, so that is always a good sign. Again, I am not sure how it tasted, because after one bite my body yelled "No more unless you want us to reverse gears and send all the food you have ever eaten up." So I listened and ate no more. We also had some Bruschetta, which was delicious. I didn't have any mozzerella cheese, so I made it with cheddar, and it still tasted great nor did we have mushrooms. The great thing about Bruschetta is you can play around with it a lot and come up with many variations, so long as you have cheese, garlic, and tomatoes. Gotta love tomatoes this time of year. I can't wait for my tomato plant to start bearing some fruit so I can have a summer time tomato sandwich. Ahh, my mouth is watering just thinking about it! In the meantime, enjoy this recipe as Jeffrey said it was great and a definite make again. I got this recipe off recipegirl.com

MIXED VEGETABLE SAUTE W/ HERBS & GARLIC

What you need:

3 large carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise, then cut on diagonal into ¼-inch-thick slices
2 Tbs olive oil
6 cloves garlic, chopped
1½ Tbs chopped fresh tarragon
1 Tbs chopped fresh thyme
4 large red bell peppers, cut lengthwise into ½-inch-wide strips
4 large zucchini, halved lengthwise, then cut on diagonal into ½-inch slices
4 large yellow crookneck squash, halved lengthwise, then cut on diagonal into ½-inch-thick slices

What to do:

1. Cook carrot in pot of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Drain.

2. Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add garlic, tarragon, and thyme; sauté about 30 seconds. Add carrots and remaining vegetables; sauté until just tender, tossing often, about 6 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Not actually what I made, but it looks very similar. This one I roasted on the grill, and had much the same reaction.

Servings: 8

Nutrition Facts
Amount Per Serving
Calories 118
Calories From Fat (31%) 37
Total Fat 4.29g
Saturated Fat 0.64g
Sodium 53.13mg
Potassium 1118.94mg
Carbohydrates 19.20g
Dietary Fiber 6.04g
Sugar 10.28g
Net Carbohydrates 13.16g
Protein 5.15g

Weight Watchers points 3.5


Buen Provecho!

No comments: