Pages

Friday, May 24, 2013

Chicken Lo Mein

image
It is no secret, I do not like Chinese food.  I never have.  It is far too greasy and salty for me.  Not to mention all the MSG in it.  And meat.  I am a vegetarian so I am not a fan of the meat.  Unfortunately, my husband is a carnivore who happens to love Chinese food.  I don't make Chinese food ever, and we eat it on New Years Eve, and that is it.  Because I really don't like it, and since I am in charge of meals, I get to say what we eat.

While perusing Pinterest a while back, Jeffrey happened to glance over my shoulder and saw a pin for some Chicken Lo Mein.  He begged for it, and so I decided I would try it.

It wasn't bad.  I am not a fan of any of the flavors of Chinese food, so I am not going to rave about this one, but Jeffrey really liked it.  It had far too much chicken. Said the vegetarian who is on a brief hiatus of being a vegetarian.

What you need:

1/4 cup soy sauce
1 TBSP brown sugar
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp minced ginger
black pepper to taste
2-3 TBSP vegetable oil
4-5 small packages of Yaki Soba noodles 
2/3 cup chopped celery (cut diagonally)
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
2 cups chopped cabbage
1-2 cups shredded chicken from a rotisserie chicken

What to do
  • In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, and pepper.  Set aside.
  • Remove the noodles from the packages and throw away the flavor packets.  Rinse the noodles and drain.
  • Heat oil in a large wok.  Add the celery and the onion.  Saute for a few minutes or until the onions start to become soft and translucent.  Add cabbage and saute the mixture for another minute.
  • Toss the noodles, chicken, and soy sauce mixture with the vegetables over medium high heat for another 2-3 minutes or until the noodles are heated through.

Jeffrey loved it.  I am glad, and may make it more than once a year.  We will see.

No comments: