Pages

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

National Macaroni Day or Pasta with Aurora Sauce

Today was National Macaroni Dayor something like that.  So I had to make something pasta-ish. 

Cruising through some cookbooks, I found a recipe I thought I might add... if I changed it up a lot.  We liked it, but I think the next time I make it, I will be going a little easier on the garlic.  Loved it though.


Pasta with Aurora Sauce
What you need:
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 green onions, minced
1 can crushed tomatoes
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried marjoram
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup cream cheese
1 lb pasta of choice (I used the veggie bow tie pasta)
cheese (I had longhorn on hand, so we used that)

What to do:

Heat the oil over medium heat in a large saucepan.  Add the garlic and green onions, cooking until fragrant (1 minute).  Stir in tomatoes and spices.  Bring the sauce to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
While sauce is simmering, cream the cream cheese until smooth.  Add 1 cup of the garlic tomato sauce from your saucepan and blend with cream cheese until smooth.  Return to saucepan, stirring to blend.  Be sure you taste and fix with any seasonings if needed.  Keep warm over low heat while your pasta is cooking until al dente.  Transfer drained pasta to serving bowl.  Add the sauce and toss gently to combine and cover noodles.  Grate cheese over top, and toss again distributing cheese evenly.  Garnish with fresh parsley if desired.

To be completely honest, this recipe isn't anything to phone home about, but for a good home cooked meal, it hits the spot.  The next time I make it, I will be adding some zucchini and spinach (staples in every meal) and any other veggie that sounds good.  Love loading my pasta with veggies!

Again, sorry for the lack of photos.  By the time dinner is ready, I am busy getting my family fed and so forget to take a picture.  However, here is a photo of a vegan version, same recipe.  Only she didn't use cheese, and used tofu instead of cream cheese. 

Mine looked better.  :)




1 comment: