Pages

Friday, December 4, 2009

Boston Clam Chowder

I cannot believe I didn't have the recipe for this posted! And clam chowder is one of my all time favorite foods. Tsk, tsk. I came to this blog looking for my recipe, and was very annoyed and shocked when I realized I had not posted it! And since I am no longer pregnant, I no longer have any excuse for not. Therefore, I decided it was time to repent and fix the problem.

I am not a seafood person. In fact, I really hate seafood. Disgusting. But I think that is because I live inland and so none of the seafood is actually fresh, and so it smells and tastes really bad. However, I have always loved clam chowder. Not the clams so much (they just seem to be living rubber bands when you chew them. Have you ever chewed on a rubber band? I used to when I was in elementary school. I still remember the awkward texture.) but everything else about the soup was just heavenly! I would always eat way more than I should, and I enjoyed it every single time. Scrumptious!

When I got married I didn't think I would be making it very often as I am not a milk fan. I mean I drink milk when I have oreos or brownies, and I eat it with my cereal, but that is about the extent of my milk consumption. That being said, I didn't think I would ever buy enough milk to make this soup. But guess what, I did last week. And so, not wanting the milk to go bad, I made clam chowder!

What You Need:
1 C onion finely chopped

1 C finely diced celery

2 C finely diced potatoes
2 cans (6 ½ oz) undrained clams
¾ C butter

¾ C flour
3 quarts milk

1 ½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper


What To Do:

In a large frying pan drain clams onto vegetables, and add enough water until vegetables are barely covered. Cook until tender. In a large pot, stir flour and butter until bubbly. Remove from heat and add cream, mixing until smooth. Add milk. Return to heat to cook. Stir constantly until thick and smooth. As it is a milk base, it tends to burn easily. Constant stirring will prevent that. When it reaches your desired consistency, add vegetables and juices as well as salt and pepper, seasoning to taste.

This is delicious with a bread bowl, or even just a grilled cheese sandwich. Best if eaten on a cold winter day. Or in the fall. Or when there is a slight chill in the air in the Spring. Ooh, it is also delicious on a summer night. Whenever you decide to eat it

Buen Provecho!

No comments: