Pages

Monday, May 18, 2009

Rhubarb Pie

Isn't it funny how you can acquier a taste for something that most people don't like? I think it has something to do with being brought up with said thing. For example, when you say Rhubarb Pie most people run for the nearest exit. When someone says rhubarb pie around my family, we immediately flock to the nearest table with the pie on it, our mouths watering, anxiously waiting for that delectable food.

I can't speak for the rest of my family, but I am a rhubarb purist. I don't like strawberry rhubarb pie because the strawberries drown out the wonderfully tart taste of the rhubarb. I have never liked a store bought rhubarb pie, either. It has to be fresh and homemade and I can (shouldn't but can) eat the whole thing by myself in one sitting.
I think everyone should try it at least once, and so, to give you the opportunity, I will give you yet another of my grandmother's recipes with my own adaptation to it. Enjoy!

What you need:
3-4 cups chopped rhubarb
1- 1 1/2 cups sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon mace
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon butter

What to do:
First you want to sprinkle the bottom of your pie crust with flour to help it keep from getting soggy.
Distribute evenly your rhubarb into the pie shell.
Mix all the other ingredients in a bowl until evenly combined.
Pour mixture over rhubarb coating it evenly.
Cut the tablespoon of butter up into tiny sections. Drop on top of rhubarb mixture spreading it out all over the pie.
Trim and moisten the edge of the crust with water.
Add the top crust and trim leaving about 1 inch of crust over the edge. Fold edge under creating 1/2 inch edging. Shape to your desire.
Spread a mixture of equal parts water and milk all across the top and in the crevices of the top pie crust. This helps it brown nicely.
Bake at 425 for 15 minutes
Turn heat down to 325 and continue to bake for 30 minutes.
Take out, let the smell permeate your home, cool, and enjoy! Tastes delightful with a small scoop of vanilla bean ice cream on the side.

And as always
Buen Provecho!

1 comment:

Carolyne said...

My hubby loves Rhubarb pie! I'll have to make yours and surprise him! I've never had it, so I'm excited!