Pages

Monday, May 18, 2009

Best Flakey Pie Crust Ever

Yesterday Jeffrey was walking around the house pleading for pie. I didn't have any. Nor did his parents when we went there for dinner. As a result he got me to promise to make him pie today. Which is fine, because I love pie. In my family we would much rather have a pie than a cake any day.
I guess the reason we all love pies is because of my grandmother. Grandma was famous for her pies. And if she wasn't really, she should have been. Her crusts were always perfect. I have rarely tasted a better crust than hers. She always put so much love and care into each pie that was made, and you could taste it. Because of her, I can't abide store bought pies. They taste so fake, and sadly, the art of pie making is disappearing. In an effort to bring it back to a few more people than just my family, I am giving you all the very best pie crust I have ever had. Grandma's pie crust recipe.



What you need
3 cups flour
1 rounded cup crisco
1 scant tsp salt
1/2 cup ice water

What you do

Mix the flour and crisco with a pastry blender. If you don't have a pastry blender, a knife works as well, just cut the crisco into the flour.
Once your crisco and flour are combined slowly add ice water (to different parts of dough) and stir with a fork until all the dough has formed into small pea sized clumps.
Separate into 4 equal sized balls.
You are now ready to make two pies with tops, or four pies without tops. Fill with your favorite filling and cook as directed. Enjoy.
Just a note, if you are planning on doing a pudding pie you should probably bake the crust first.

And as always

Buen Provecho!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have never try rhubarb pie but it looks yummy.Stopping in from SITS

Anonymous said...

Genial brief and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.