Pages

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Kale Chips

Image

It is that time of year again, or very nearly so. The time of year when candy gets all up in yo grill, and there is no escaping it.  The time of year for football barbecues and parties.  The beginning of the time when food gets the centerpiece in all of our celebrations.

Never fear, fond friends.  I have found a delectable delight that will send your mouth all a quiver with joy.  Ignore those pesky bags of chips.  Put away the Doritos that seem to be mocking you with that haunting beckon.  Push it all aside and make room for kale chips!

A few years ago I bought some kale.  I put it in my pasta.  It was bitter.  I hated it.  A little while after that, I decided to try it in salad.  Again, it was bitter and it ruined my salad.  I didn't want to eat any more of it.  So, when I stumbled upon the recipe for kale chips, I was skeptical at best.  How on earth could kale be made in a way that didn't make you cringe?  That didn't send your taste buds running for cover?

I decided to suck it up and try it anyway.

Goodbye forever potato chips.  Sayonara corn chips and dip.  And you, the ever beckoning giant of temptation; fritos, to you I bid adieu.

The best part of all is the simplicity of these chips.

What you need:

a bunch or two or five of kale.
olive oil
kosher salt 
foil

What to do:

Preheat oven to 350*  Line baking sheet(s) with tinfoil or parchment paper.  Wash the kale thoroughly.  Place in salad spinner and spin, or pat dry with towels.  Make sure it is completely dry.  Next, put olive oil on your hands.  Gently rub the kale to coat with olive oil and place it on foiled baking sheet.  When baking sheet is full, sprinkle on some salt.  Put in oven and bake 10-12 minutes.  It is ready to come out when the leaves are slightly brown on the edges.  Be careful not to burn.  Repeat.  

Over and over again, repeat.  Your body will thank you for feeding it such delicious and healthy vegetables.  Your mouth will thank you for indulging in something it thinks is equivalent to fat filled chips.  You will be thrilled with the fact that you have once again fooled your body into loving something oh so good for it.  It is a win win for all involved.

For more info on the health benefits of kale, go here.

1 comment:

chelsea mckell said...

sounds very interesting! Never thought of anything like this.... thanks! Next time I get my hands on some kale, I'm trying it.