Pages

Monday, August 29, 2011

Grandma's Zucchini Casserole

image

When I was a child, I ate like a child.

Meaning, I avoided anything green, and stuffed myself with sugar, carbs, and ice cream.  It was an awesome existence.

I remember fighting my mother on eating my vegetables.  Many a night, I would be left at the table, alone but for a plate of grown cold vegetables.  Steadily refusing to eat, likewise my parents refusing to let me down until I ate them.  To this day, I can't handle winter squash because that is the one I remember the most.  Cold slimy winter squash on my plate, trying to force it down with my little fingers pinching my nose, gagging the whole time.

There was one veggie, I loved to eat, though.  It was zucchini.  I loved it when my mom fried it.  I loved it breaded.  I especially loved it in my grandmother's casserole.  Which is saying something, because I am not normally a fan of casserole!

In my mind, it wasn't summer until I had a steaming hot plate full of her casserole, grinning as I waited for the family to sit around the table.  I remember sticking my tongue out, thinking I was sneaky, and trying to lick it. I burned my tongue and couldn't figure out how everyone knew I was licking my food before the prayer.

And now, since Summer is on its way out, I thought I would celebrate by sharing this dish, with a big thanks to my sister for posting the recipe on her blog so I could easily find it.

6 c. cooked and drained zucchini (or crook necked/summer squash)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 c. sour cream
1 package stove top stuffing
1 c. chopped onions
1/2-1 c. dried bread crumbs (or crushed croutons)
Butter
Grated cheddar cheese

Saute onions in butter, then add to zucchini, sour cream and soup. Set aside. In the same pan used for the onions, melt 1/2 c. butter. Add stuffing, seasoning, & dried bread crumbs.

In a casserole dish, layer zucchini, bread crumbs, cheese, zucchini, bread crumbs, cheese.

Bake for 25 minutes at 350* until bubbly.

No comments: