Pages

Monday, September 14, 2009

Vegi and Lentil Stew and Tony Roma's Potato Soup

So today is a perfect day for soup. I love soup. It is just so darn tasty and warms the soul. In honor of the massive rain storm and the lightening that I am so excited to see, I am making soup for dinner tonight. However I can't really decide which type to make, so I am making two. I can freeze the other for a later date, and that will be nice for a day when I don't feel like cooking. To start off I stuck some stuff in the crock pot, and we will see how it turns out. I am sort of making it up as I go. While that is cooking in the crock pot I am going to get started on a favorite around here. It is a rendition of Tony Roma's potato soup. Delicious, and super easy.

The recipe for the Tony Roma's soup is easy, and anyone can make it


Tony Roma's Potato Soup

What You Need:

2 med baked potatoes (bake before hand)
3 tsp butter
1 cups diced white onions (can use less)
2 tsp flour
4 coups veggie broth
2 cups water
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 1/2 cup instant mashed potatoes
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp basil
1/8 tsp thyme
1 cup half-n-half
garnish cheddar cheese and green onions

What To Do:

Melt butter and saute onion until light brown. Add flour to onion and stir to make roux. Add stock, water, cornstarch, mashed potatoes, and spices and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. cut potatoes and scoop out. Discard skins. cut potatoes into 1/2 inch chunks. Add chopped potatoes and half-n-half to saucepan and bring to a boil, reduce and simmer 5 minutes.

The other soup I am making is with a vegi soup mix i bought at the local grocery store. It has green and yellow split peas, barley, lentils and pasta bits made from whole wheat flour, spinach, and tomato. To that mix I am adding some onion, parsnip, zucchini, celery, carrots, and potato. I will also add a bay leaf. It is going to simmer in the crock pot for a couple of hours, and then should be ready for the freezer or to eat! Sweet!

But, for dinner tonight I am serving the Tony Roma's potato soup with my delectable grilled cheese sandwiches. Can't wait for dinner time!



1 comment:

Aspen Real Life said...

Do you really cook like that? Ok, I'm going to follow your blog and cook like you. My family will be astounded.

Glad to find you over from Warm Chocolate Milk's site.