Pages

Monday, August 17, 2009

Gourmet Grilled Cheese Restaurant Style

It's been a long day. Dinner was not exactly something I was looking forward to making. I wasn't sure what to make, and really didn't want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. It is hot outside.
So, I did what most people do when confronted with a problem. I gathered up Keith, and went out to play. We stopped by my friend's house and brought her along to a nearby walk-way. As we were walking and talking she mentioned she was going to make grilled cheese and soup for dinner.

See, problem solved! I just needed to go play for a while and the problem would solve itself. Isn't she a great friend? At any rate, as I thought about it, I remembered a grilled cheese sandwich I had once made for Jeffrey. He loved it. So I decided to make it again. It is a restaurant style grilled cheese, and it is a great way to wow people with something simple. I hope you all enjoy it as much as we do!

Gourmet Grilled Cheese Restaurant Style

3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 cup (4 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup (4 oz.) shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp. seasoned salt
10 slices Italian bread (1/2" thick)
2 Tbsp. butter or margarine, softened

What To Do:

In mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and mayo until smooth. Stir in cheeses (or just one kind if that is all you have on hand), garlic powder (I always use fresh garlic that is chopped up), and seasoned salt. Spread 5 slices of bread with the cheese mixture, about 1/3 cup on each. Top with remaining bread. Butter the outside of sandwiches; cook in a large skillet over medium heat until golden brown on both sides. The recipe I followed said to not use regular bread due to the filling being very heavy, but since that is what I had on hand, that is what I used and it turned out fine. It suggests using sourdough and spreading the filling thin so you can make more sandwiches, and have it not so rich. Any which way you choose to make this is fine. It's a pretty hard recipe to mess up. Enjoy!

Buen Provecho!


3 comments:

Tawni said...

Yum, those look really good! I'll have to try it out.

valentine said...

oh man, grilled cheese and fries is like my favorite meal. healthy? no. delicious? fetch yeah!

Unknown said...

wow, looks good! I'll definitely be checking back in! Have a great day!

Stopping by from SITS!