Pages

Monday, April 20, 2009

Whole Wheat Bread

I heart homemade bread. We love it so much in fact, that we never buy bread from the store anymore, and when we do, it tastes yucky. I have been experimenting with a new recipe, and thus far we are loving it. I am not an expert bread maker yet by any means, but hopefully one day I will master the art.

This is what my first attempt of Nie's bread looked like. Hopefully my other loaves will look better... but it sure tasted good!

I got my recipe from (any guesses?) Nie's blog. She didn't post any measurements, so I had to kind of guestimate. With the help of my sweet friend Emily, we guess it is this recipe. If any of you have any suggestions, please let me hear them. Thanks a ton!

4 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup honey
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp salt
1 cup warm water
1/4 tsp sugar disolved
2 1/4 stp yeast
1/2 cup powdered milk

Putting it all together:
Disolve sugar in water. Add yeast mixture and let sit for 7-10 minutes until spongy (placing it in the microwave is a good place to let it rise). Once it has risen and is spongy, add it to the flour, salt, powdered milk, oil, and honey. Once it is all mixed together, knead for about 10 minutes. Cover with a damp dishcloth and place in a warm place to dry (mine is going on the floor in the sun). punch it down, and let it rise again. (Here Nie rolls it out, but I tried that last time, and it ended up giving me problems. If anyone knows what exactly she means by rolling it out, please let me know. Thanks.) Shape into 2 loaves and bake at 350* for 30 minutes. Immediately after removing the bread from the oven, cut one slice, slather with honey or butter and enjoy!




Buen Provecho!

1 comment:

American Homemaker said...

That looks pretty simple! I'm planning on trying some bread this week.